GIS is used as an analytical tool in various planning and development projects conducted on behalf of the jurisdictions supporting the Regional Commission. From time to time the Commission may assist non-profit organizations, private entities, and non-supporting jurisdictions with their mapping needs. These external mapping projects will be considered on a case-by-case basis according to the Commission's current workload and the project's overall benefit to the Region.
Online Mapping Resources
An increasing number of agencies are releasing geographic information online. This data is often statewide and includes information from natural resources to transportation to housing.
- The National Map - A consortium of Federal, State, and local partners providing public access to high-quality, geospatial data and information. Multiple data resources can be viewed and downloaded for use in a desktop GIS system. These include geology, elevation, land cover, imagery, and transportation networks.
- Virginia Roads - VirginiaRoads is a portal for interactive mapping applications and publications. Hosted and maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation, VirginiaRoads includes mapping applications for Six-Year Improvement Program projects, bridges, crash data, real-time traffic information, and park & ride lots, as examples.
- Virginia Department of Forestry GIS Resources - A collection of resources from the Virginia Department of Forestry, including Wildfire Risk Analysis, Urban-Wildland Interface Analysis, and Forest Resource Assessment data, among other data sets.
- Virginia Conservation Lands Database - A Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation mapping service providing mapped boundaries and attributes for public and certain private lands having various conservation, recreation and open-space roles.
- Virginia Natural Heritage Data Explorer - A Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation mapping service providing mapped boundaries of conservation lands, rare species, and karst resources in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Virginia Fish & Wildlife Information Service (VAFWIS) - The VAFWIS is a Database of the most current and comprehensive information about all of Virginia's Wildlife resources.
- Virginia DEQ Geographic Environmental Mapping System - A Department of Environmental Quality site with interactive maps for What's in My Backyard?, impaired waters in the TMDL program, and the coastal zone program.
- The Geospatial Data Gateway - One Stop Shopping for natural resources or environmental data at anytime, from anywhere, to anyone. The Gateway allows you to choose your area of interest, browse and select data from our catalog, customize the format, and have it downloaded or shipped on CD.