Town of Orange
The Town of Orange, Virginia, situated amidst rolling landscapes and spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, serves as the seat for Orange County and its business center and is a great place to visit, live and work.
The Town is named in honor of William IV, Prince of Orange. The Town of Orange became Orange County's judicial seat in 1749 when Culpeper County was cut off making the previous courthouse location at Raccoon Ford very far from the center of the County. The present courthouse was constructed in 1858. The Town was incorporated in 1872. Although fire destroyed much of the town in 1908, many buildings from the 1800's still remain. The Town remains the county seat, as well as the commercial and retail center of the county.
The Town is rich with history. The courthouse and St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Robert E. Lee's place of worship during the winter of 1863-64, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U.S. Route 15 and Virginia Route 20 provide principal highway access to the Town. Additionally, the Town is accessible to major trade routes including U.S. Route 29 (13 miles), Interstate 95 (35 miles), and Interstate 64 (30 miles). Railway lines pass through the center of the Town and freight service is provided by Norfolk Southern and the CSX railway system. The closest urban centers to the Town include the Town of Gordonsville, Town of Culpeper, City of Charlottesville, City of Fredericksburg, and City of Richmond.
A five-member Town Council, elected at-large, governs the Town of Orange. The Council members elect the Mayor and the Vice-Mayor. The Town Manager oversees the day-to-day management of the Town operations and works with staff to coordinate long-range planning and budgeting activities.