"Madison Moving Forward, Preserving Our Past"
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Waverly Yowell Elementary School
8:30 am to 3:30 pm
The seventh annual RRRC Living Towns Planning Workshop, held this year on a beautiful and temperate day in the Town of Madison was yet another information-packed and well-attended proceeding. The theme of this year's workshop, Madison Moving Forward, Preserving Our Past , featured three strong panels of speakers on topics ranging from outdoor recreation to farmers markets to community walkability. Together with keynote speaker Kevin Schmidt, with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, with a presentation entitled: "Planning for Agriculture," attendees left with valuable insights into community development and planning practices. Our thanks to all of the attendees and moderators for a most enjoyable and informative day!
But most of all, our thanks to the following for their first-rate presentations and invaluable insights:
Welcome & Introductions
- William Lamar, Mayor, Town of Madison
- Eddie Dean, Chair, Madison County Board of Supervisors
- Moderator: Nancy Knighting, Vice-Mayor, Town of Madison
- Fritz Alderman, Assistant Town Engineer, Town of Culpeper
- Richard B. Kaufman, Town Attorney, Town of Herndon
- Cathy Belcher, Direct Marketing Program Manager, VDACS
- Moderator: Tracey Williams, Executive Director, Madison County Chamber of Commerce
- Tonya Triplett, Town Clerk, Town of Damascus
- Ann Miller, Sr. Research Scientist/Historian, VA Transportation Research Council
- Beth Burns, Culpeper Tourism Director
- Keynote Speaker
- Kevin Schmidt, Coordinator of the Office of Farmland Preservation, VDACS
- Moderator: Khalil Hassan, President, Rural Madison
- Bruce Edmonds, Recycling Operations Manager, Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority
- Michael Collins, AICP, Town Planner, Town of Orange
- Milton Herd, AICP, President, Herd Planning & Design
- Jeff Werner, Charlottesville/Albemarle Land Use Field Officer, Piedmont Environmental Council
- Bob Miller, Madison County Supervisor & RRRC Vice-Chair
Copies of the Agenda, Powerpoint presentations and pictures from the Workshop can be found below.
Once again, our thanks to all who helped to make this year's workshop a success; we look forward to seeing everyone again next year!
Note: All files are in .pdf format. Powerpoint presentations are in handout format with two slides per page.
- Marketing Farmers Markets
- Sidewalk Extension & Pedestrian Friendly Communities
- Town & County Rapport
Outdoor Recreation, Heritage Tourism & Economic Development
Planner's Tool Box
- Recycling: Household Hazardous Waste
- Parking Issues & Requirements
- Mixed-Use Zoning Considerations
- Community Walkability
- Madison Downtown Project Focuses on Living Town Concept (NBC 29, Charlottesville) Link