"Tourism & Economic Development: Capitalizing on Area Assets"
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Orange Presbyterian Church
162 Main Street
8:30am to 3:30pm
The 10th RRRC Living Towns Planning Workshop was held August 22 in the historic Town of Orange, a return to the site of the inaugural workshop in 2002.
This year's proceeding, with the theme of Tourism & Economic Development: Capitalizing on Area Assets, featured three dynamic panels of speakers on topics ranging from the economic development potential of trails, parks and recreation and agriculture, to successful strategies of bed and breakfast consortia and local transportation committees to tools for public engagement.
Attendees gained invaluable insights not only from a roster of accomplished practitioners, but fellow attendees from across the Commonwealth.
A mid-day walking tour of historic downtown, and post-workshop reception at The Arts Center in Orange rounded out the information-filled event.
Our thanks to sponsors, speakers, moderators, and attendees for another successful installment in the popular annual series.
We look forward to seeing everyone at next year's workshop!
Welcome & Introductions
- Chuck Mason, Mayor, Town of Orange
- Teel Goodwin, Chair, Orange County Board of Supervisors
- Jeffrey Walker, AICP, Executive Director, RRRC
- Moderator: Tom Woolfolk, Treasurer, Orange County Chamber of Commerce
- Wirt Confroy, Director of Partnership Marketing, Virginia Tourism Corporation | Presentation
- Sean O'Brien, PhD, Executive Vice-President & COO, James Madison's Montpelier
- Amy Hager, Administrator, Bed & Breakfast Association of Virginia | Presentation
- Moderator: Sharon Elswick, Owner, The Holladay House, Orange, VA
- David Lamb, Owner, Oakland Heights Farm
- Kevin Byrd, AICP, Executive Director, New River Valley PDC | Presentation
- Larry Miller, Director, Fauquier County Department of Parks & Recreation | Presentation
- Moderator: John Cooley, AICP, Director of Community Development, Town of Orange
- Brad Jarvis, Madison County Extension Agent, Virginia Cooperative Extension | Presentation
- Susan Eddy, Chief of Planning, Fauquier County Deparment of Community Development | Presentation
- Dan Mahon, Outdoor Recreation Supervisor, Albemarle County | Presentation
- Spencer Neale, Director of Commodity Marketing, Virginia Farm Bureau Federation | Presentation
Page Sullenberger, Town of Orange Planning Commissioner
This Workshop is sponsored by
|Orange Presbyterian Church|